Just got offered my old job back.
Thinking about taking it/re-applying.
i say measure stress levels. dump the one that would keep you from sleeping.
My partner wrote this for himself when he was in grad school. It’s been pasted up over every desk I’ve ever had.
1. Don’t compare yourself to people with different backgrounds. You are not them, and when you think about it, wouldn’t want to be them, would you? would you trade your life and experiences for those of these “more
accomplished” people? I don’t think so.
2. Remember all the things that your professors don’t know outside of their fields. Nobody knows it all.
3. What does it take to feel good about yourself as a thinker? How much authority do you need? Absolute answers and unquestionable viewpoints are as rare in academia as in any other walk of life. If you want absolute certainty, go into televangelism.
4. “You are free to write the worst junk in America” —Natalie Goldberg, Wild Mind. Keep this in mind. YOU ARE FREE TO WRITE THE WORST JUNK IN ACADEMIA. The worst junk in academia, not Henry Louis Gates or Fred Jameson, should be your level of comparison, because …
5. You are a writer. Think of yourself as a writer and not God. When you get caught up in trying to know (and say) everything, you’re confusing your role with that of Athena or the omniscient god of bloodless abstract
theology or the Oversoul or the ubermench or whatever.
6. Send your imagined critics to the Bahamas. When you imagine and try to anticipate every possible objection to your thought, it stifles your creativity and clouds your thinking. Let that critical review come later. Put your critics on a plane and start serving cocktails immediately; you can write while they’re drunk, distracted, and intriguing to sleep with each other.
7. Keep moving. Remember Goldberg. Do free writings so you can get used to writing that you’re not invested in. Every word doesn’t have to count. Get comfortable with words that don’t.
8. Who are you when you write? A scholarly fortress? An impregnable pedant? Who do you want to be? Alive. I want to be alive, and to be alive is to be transitory. This knowledge that I build, this stuff that I produce, it’s transitory. No eternal temple, merely me and you, my reader, locked in a momentary dance step that will pass and move on. Other readers, other dance steps. No permanence or security here. That’s what living prose is.
Think of your writing as dancing, and keep moving those feet. There is no perfect step. There is no set of moves that everyone will adore. You have only your body; if you’re going to dance, it’s the one you must use. You have only your own mind and your own language; if you’re going to think and to write, use them.
Delight in that body. Delight in your mind. The desire for eternal words, eternal certainty, eternal life—it’s a death wish.
June Giveaway: Avatar Elemental Necklaces
With all the requests for these to be added to my shop, here it is!
- One winner receives a set of all four Avatar Elemental necklaces
- Reblog this post once, and only once
- Likes/follows do not count, but appreciated
- Giveaway ends June 29th, Friday at 10pm PST
- Winner will be announced June 30th, Saturday
Water, Earth, Fire, Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when benders on tumblr reblogged this.
No, this isn’t an anime post, and I hope our followers, and the other runners of this blog, will forgive me for posting “politics” here.
This is too serious though, and with 3400 followers, you are my best audience.
i *am* sorry if people are sick of hearing about politics. but politics or not, this is fucking scary: fema detainment camps are going live. FEMA DETENTION/DETAINMENT CAMPS. IN AMERICA. ALL FIFTY STATES. this is following the bill passed by the senate in a 93 to 7 vote that the government can, at it’s discretion, arrest any american citizen at any time without trial or reason, and hold them indefinitely.
sure, obama says he’ll veto, but with a 2/3+ approval in senate, the veto will be over-ridden. so, they’ve passed the bill to detain us indefinitely, and now they’re activating the detention camps, all shortly after occupy wallstreet starts.
google fema detainment camps, google the NDAA bill. google what occupy wallstreet stands for. please please please, research for yourself online what is going on in america right now. this is very very serious, and very very scary. don’t think about this as politics, don’t use that as an excuse to ignore this kind of thing. i’m not asking anyone to agree with me, or declare themselves as a 99%, i’m just asking everyone that reads this post to EDUCATE THEMSELVES on the shit that’s happening right now. read up on what’s going on and draw your own conclusions, but for pete’s sake, EDUCATE YOURSELF.
- info on the NDAA bill
- occupy wallstreet’s message & goals
- pretty graphics to help perspective a bit
- breaking news (12/06/2011) on FEMA camps going live
- also, this alex jones video talking about the fema camps
- a message from anonymous about the global situation right now
this is no longer about politics - this is literally about our freedoms & liberties.
AS AN EXAMPLE: say you have a pen pal in iraq, that can be labeled as “suspected terrorism” - off to fema camps you go, indefinitely, no lawyer, no family visits, no guarantee of leaving.
say you put up a tweet: “i don’t like the president” — bam, suspected terrorism - off to fema camps you go.
say you…. oh, have more than 6 days worth of food in your house - SUSPECTED TERRORISM, OFF TO FEMA WITH YOU. (yes, the last one is true, along with “missing fingers” or looking muslim, etc, check it here)
IF YOU CAN REBLOG A CAT LICKING IT’S LIPS, PLEASE REBLOG SOMETHING LIKE THIS. Seriously. This is your life & your freedom. Spread the word, educate yourself, friends & family.
Completely unrelated to special snowflakez, but take a look anyway.
Signal boosting- PLEASE look at this guys!